Kai's collective Alienware 17 R1 Ranger build log

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Kai's collective Alienware 17 R1 Ranger build log

So this is going to be my Collective build log/guide on this notebook. With the help of @Danishblunt and @Azmodiuz to make my laptop sing.

First things first. The stock config for this laptop is an I7-4xxxmq with the ability to use mx processors. There is also the ability to use a gtx 7 series card all the way to a 8 series that was officially supported. That's where it kinda ends on dells side unfortunately.

I am currently using nvidias latest driver, and i am also on the unlocked a14+ bios. i have upgraded from a 4800mq to a 4930mx and had to change the cpu heatsink to the aftermarket 4pipe heatsink that you can get from ebay, and use liquid metal on the cpu. Otherwise you have major overheating issues. The gpu was upgraded to a gtx 1060 with device id of 1c20 which is a bga msi 1060 chip put on the gtx 980m reference mxm board. Geez, wish i had taken pics of this. Also both of the heatsings are all copper with the gpu heatsink also being from china. The screen is the 120hz 3d panel.

with liquid metal on my mx cpu, i dropped 30 degrees on the cpu during load. :D

I have been able to get a stable oc of 4.2 at 1.1504 on the cpu for gaming, but for anything else it gets quite toasty under load. if you check out the benchmark section of the forum you can see some of my scores, as well as a cooling mod i did.

Below is a list of what else i need to do to this machine to be satisfied.

Install an msi screen(N173HHE-G32).
      install 16gb more of ddr3 so i can use this laptop as my mobile vmware lab
      install a better cfm cpu fan(currently Installed. The fan can be found from ebay from cichen. i had to cut the pwm wire for better temps tho.)
      Install a external switch for the cpu fan to act normally, then when the switch is flipped, to cut pwm for cpu and gpu fan (this is done. see mod section)
      install a better gpu fan(currently unknown as to what fan to use)
      replace the screen housing(scratches ew)
      install and use a u2f key for windows(linux is going to be my main so screw this)
      Upgrade the wireless card to a 9260 (kit ordered Drool)

The post was edited 3 times, last by Kaibsora: update thread ().

• Nice, and welcome to our forums bro !

Actually 2 years ago DELL added support for 9th series as well, like if you throw in a 980M or 970M windows update should even pull a driver and install just fine.
      HOWEVER I've also seen it inconsistent, where you can not just go to NVidia and download the latest driver, seems a few WHQL drivers work, and usually the same ones they put out on their site for the 7th and 8th gen (version wise)

I assume this is still the case.

Anyways anything 4Ghz on that laptop and up is just the cherry on top, congratz on that, and 30C lower is great results !

Whats the model number of the fan you are going to use , many would like to know that info, if you care to share, and which MSI panel are you referring to ?
    • Azmodiuz wrote:

Nice, and welcome to our forums bro !

Actually 2 years ago DELL added support for 9th series as well, like if you throw in a 980M or 970M windows update should even pull a driver and install just fine.
      HOWEVER I've also seen it inconsistent, where you can not just go to NVidia and download the latest driver, seems a few WHQL drivers work, and usually the same ones they put out on their site for the 7th and 8th gen (version wise)

I assume this is still the case.

Anyways anything 4Ghz on that laptop and up is just the cherry on top, congratz on that, and 30C lower is great results !

Whats the model number of the fan you are going to use , many would like to know that info, if you care to share, and which MSI panel are you referring to ?
      So i have installed the cpu fan and it is louder, but i had to cut the pwm wire to be able to get about 7 deg better temps. i have a feeling that this hs still isnt doing what its supposed to but for now its working fine for me.

I have updated the main post to reflect my log and changes you have asked! :)